Friday, March 5, 2010

RAGNAR

In October my friend and neighbor came over and asked me to run a relay race with her. She said a girl dropped out and that I should do it. I said sure, mostly because it sounded fun to get away with girls! I had NO idea what I was getting myself into! Last weekend was the race and I have to say it was one of the worst and best experiences of my life. During my training, I also found out something about myself that I didn't know- I love to run! It will definitely always be part of my life now and I am hoping to run a half marathon and a full marathon this year.

I only knew 2 of these girls but we all became fast friends for sure!
The race was 204 miles in total, the miles were divided up between 12 girls, 3 legs each.
Decorating the Tahoe
Here we are the Jones cousins at the beginning!
Go Meredith Go! She is inspiring- having a c-section 8 months ago, now running more miles than most people do in their lifetime!
My first hand-off, i was soooo nervous and i don't know why? I run almost everyday, but for some reason in this setting it was scary!
It must've been adrenaline but i ran this first leg of 6.3 miles in my fastest ever time. At the end this guy was just a little bit ahead of me and my teammates were cheering PASS HIM PASS HIM, so I did! And thanks marisa for running along side of me the last little bit of this and cheering me on! I needed it!
After our first leg, we ate and found a nice cozy patch of Arizona grass to lay down in. Then it was on to our nighttime runs! It was definitely scary running on the freeway shoulder at 2 a.m.

After our nighttime runs we decided to try to sleep. We parked in our next exchange area- a highschool parking lot. I probably was able to sleep a maximum of 1 hour on the hard pavement.

Here are the girls in Van #1 cheering on meredith who was running. All of these girls were so sweet and inspiring! Thanks for making my experience even better!
Waiting for Marisa... ALMOST DONE!!!

My last leg I had to run. My body was so tired, physically and mentally, this run was definitely ALL mind over matter to keep my legs from not stopping. Very emotional experience.
Here we all are at the finish line. One poor girl hurt her knee so badly she couldn't walk over the finish line! The solution?? A shopping cart! This was a great feeling!
It's over!!!
We are SUPERWOMEN!!!

10 comments:

HanksFam said...

Meg, that is amazing. I am in awe and inspired at this. (not that I'm going to go running like that. Give me a spinning class any day...I'm just not a runner).

Ashley said...

So awesome Meggie! What an experience! I can see what it would be one of the best and worst experiences of your life! haha Way to go!

Toni Call said...

Wow, i am tired just THINKING about this! You girls are amazing, for real. What an experience, way to go Megs!

laurice. said...

I am so impressed with you guys! Derrick’s sister Megan was telling us about it and it sounded crazy!

vicki said...

I am proud to be your mommy! You are amazing...love you!

The Farmer's Wife said...

Great job! It looks like you had a great time!

Cathy said...

I WANT TO DO THIS!!! I loved your post! The pictures were fun and I almost felt like I had been there! Congratulations to all of you and thanks for documenting it, Meggie!! I am PROUD OF YOU ALL!!!

Kirsten said...

WoW!! Good job! That is amazing! :)

Rachelle Vernon Jones said...

I'm just so PROUD!!! You're awesome!!!

Nicole said...

Zac and I did a RAGNAR! It is the best and worst and I was so nervous too... I was even more nervous when Zac ran.... good memories!! I hope you guys are doing good!! You look GREAT!! Happy Birthday!