Friday, March 27, 2009

Paranoid?? I don't care!

So, after the dentist scheduled to pull Kason's tooth in 1 week, I started reading online about abscessed teeth. I typed in "complications of abscessed tooth" and here are some of the things that came up
"12 year old dies from abscessed tooth"
"A tooth abscess complications includes tooth loss, jaw bone damage, neighboring tooth damage or loss, sinus problems, brain abscess, heart damage, hospitalization, coma, and even death"
"Facial Disfigurement as it eats away the facial bones; teeth falling out as the tooth abscess destroys the jaw holding the tooth; the picture is pretty gruesome."

He had a huge lump under his neck and his jaw bone had a big bump on it. Needless to say, I started getting paranoid. I was thinking, "why are we keeping this tooth in for one more week?" I finally just called the dentist and told him the antibiotics aren't working and i was worried about further complications if his tooth didn't come out. He agreed and pulled it out that night. Since then, his cheek and jaw swelling have decreased and he seems a lot happier. Sometimes it pays off to be a paranoid mom!

5 comments:

BarbaraJo said...

I truly believe that Mothers have that instinct. Good for you to act upon it!

Kirsten said...

Poor Kase! You did the right thing! Mother's always know best!! Hope he feels better soon!

Ashley said...

Yikes! So glad you got it taken care of so soon... and in MEXICO (the land of "manana")!
That's a huge tooth! haha

Elder Romney's mission said...

I have had many of my boys teeth pulled by Dentist Lamoni and hes done a great job. I dont know why their teeth r so bad when we brush 2xs a day but oh well. At least the tooth fairy got to come!! All your recent blog pictures are cute Im just not one to comment on everything!!

vicki said...

ALWAYS trust your instincts, especially with your kids. I really think mothers are given that gift of knowing. You did the right thing...that little guy doesn't need any complications! Love you Kas...can't wait to see you in a week!
Mom