Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Frog Poop Mystery


Last Sunday, Ryder came running in the house crying. He told me he had frog poop in his nose! I was busy putting together the railing so he won't fall off his big bed so I just ignored it and kept working. A few minutes later, he started crying, hard! Then Kason came in and said his eyes were stinging and it felt like bugs were biting his eyes! Now I started freaking out. I ran outside and went to the empty swimming pool where they were playing to make sure there were no chemicals around the pool. No chemicals, just a puddle of dirty water and frogs. Meanwhile, Ryder starts screaming louder and louder. Kason's eyes are stinging but just a little. I took him into the house and he could not open his eyes. Whatever started in his nose was now into his eyes. He said there was a "coca-roach" on his eye! (I love how he explains things). I took him into the bathroom and flushed his eyes with water and my contact saline solution. His eyes were bright red and he still could not open them. I started freaking out more because now I also remembered that earlier they were making make believe cakes with mushrooms, dirt, and leaves. Had they eaten some of the mushrooms and they were poisonous? I took the other kids to the neighbor's house and rushed to the church where Jared was in a meeting. By now, Ryder was lethargic and passing out! My crazy mom reaction was "my baby is going to die!" Jared first took Ryder to the swimming pool and made him open his eyes under the water to really clean out his eyes. After about 30 minutes he started to calm down and feel better (but still could not open his eyes). Then he feel asleep. We made him sleep in our bed just to make sure he wasn't going to die on us at night. When he woke up, his eye was all crusted over and swollen but with some warm water he opened them and he was fine!
So, it's a mystery, what happened? Was it mushrooms? Was it that nasty swimming pool water? Was it frog poop? Was it a frog? An aunt said that it happened to her boys once playing with frogs- she says they secrete posion in their urine (gross, I know!) Has anyone heard of anything like this? Maybe the mystery will never be solved...........

9 comments:

Rachelle Vernon Jones said...

o my gosh meg! i was freaking out reading it! i'm so glad jared knew what to do. the pool was a really good idea. thank heavens for those daddies. dang frogs~! i cannot believe it. you poor thing! that is so stressful. i'm so glad they're ok! big hugs!

toni said...

I still feel so bad for kason and bongo. Poor things! The way Kason described it was so cute (and sad) at the same time. I've never seen Bongo so calm and out of it as i did that sunday night! You know he must have felt pretty lousy :-(

laurice. said...

That would freak me out also! I have never heard of that!

vicki said...

Meg...check out Bufotoxins...toads have it in their skin- it's a way to protect themselves and it causes the symptons Bongo and Kason had...can kill animals, but not super harmful to people...enough to scare the daylights out of you though.
Adult Cane Toads possess enlarged parotoid glands behind the eyes and other glands across the back. When threatened, the Cane Toad secretes a milky-white fluid known as bufotoxin from these glands. Bufotoxin contains components that are toxic to many animals. There are many reported deaths of animals and even reported deaths of humans,[8] after consumption of Cane Toads. A Cane Toad is capable of inflating its lungs, puffing up and lifting its body off the ground to appear taller and larger to a predator.
That is from a cane toad, but all toads (and some mushrooms) have bufotoxin.
My poor Bongo and Kas...they need no bakes!

Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said...

CRAZY! I have no clue! Glad they are ok now!

Cassie said...

I love reading your blogs. I was on the edge of my chair getting really nervous. Wow,and so informative. I had no idea frogs were so dangerous! So sad! I'm so happy your boys are okay! Scary!

Nicole said...

SCARY!!!

Ashlee said...

That is so scary!! And crazy too, I've never heard of anything like that. I'm so glad everything turned out okay, things must've been pretty scary there with him passing out and not being able to open his eyes.